Manager, Corporate Governance
Darebin Council is seeking a dynamic and politically astute leader to join as Manager Corporate Governance.
Darebin City Council is deeply committed to its vision of a greener, bolder, more connected city. No matter where you’re from, you’ll feel at home in this vibrant and cosmopolitan community just north of Melbourne’s CBD, where different lifestyles, aspirations and talents are welcomed. Darebin’s 150,000 residents come from 148 countries, speak 138 different languages, embrace 37 different faiths and celebrate their City’s rich cultural diversity.
As a progressive leader in sustainability and social justice, Council is working hard to address the critical issues affecting the community including the climate emergency, unprecedented growth and growing inequality.
Your new role
Following a comprehensive restructure, Council has identified the opportunity to expand its leadership team with the new position of Manager Corporate Governance. This is a critical role that will lead an agile, dynamic and highly visible unit within Council. Reporting to the General Manager Governance & Engagement, the Manager Corporate Governance will also work closely and regularly with the CEO on Council’s Corporate Governance priorities. The position has accountability for Darebin’s Council Business and Corporate Planning Units, with two direct reports and managing a team of eight staff.
- Provide inspired and transformational leadership of the Council Business and Corporate Planning Unit
- Lead the development of the Community Vision, Council Plan, Annual Plan and other relevant corporate strategies
- Ensure best-practice Council Business and councillor governance processes to support informed decision-making for the Darebin community
- Operate as a valuable contributor to the broader leadership and management of the organisation and the Governance & Engagement Division
- Build the department’s culture, performance and capacity for integration, collaboration and
- communication both internally and externally
- Oversee implementation of the Local Government Act 2020
Skills & Experience
- Relevant tertiary qualification/s and a track record of achievement in management,
- organisational strategy and governance
- Proven experience in corporate planning functions, leading significant change, cultural transformation and innovation at an organisation wide level
- A record of building strong and productive relationships to deliver an organisation’s priorities,
- projects and high level strategic and business planning
- High degree of political acumen
- Outstanding people management skills including proven ability to facilitate employee
- development, model expected behaviours and align with organisational goals and values
- Competitive remuneration package, in line with your background and experience
- Build and lead a newly-formed department
- High profile role with regular exposure to Mayor, Councillors, CEO and Executive Management Team
- Be part of a diverse and committed team in an organisation that provides excellent career development opportunities
The City of Darebin proudly values social inclusion, sustainability, engagement and service excellence.
Council is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity, and inclusion. Applications from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Island people, people with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, send an up-to-date copy of your CV, in word form to Liam.Beattie@Hays.com.au or call 03 9604 9507 for a confidential discussion about this esteemed opportunity.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: